Friday, September 10, 2010

Maximizing the Impact of Digital Collections

The article that I read was about, just as the title describes, maximizing the impact of libraries’ digital collections. This sparked my interest because as we are now living in a more technological age this is a great way to advertise libraries to people who no longer or rarely use them, as well as increase the impact that they have on a community. The author describes 3 ways that this can be done: making digital collections available through search engines like Google, using RSS feeds, and utilizing discovery interfaces such as AquaBrowser. I think these are all great ways to make information more readily available to patrons and the general public alike, although I do believe the use of Google and other search engines may have the most impact. So many people in this day and age trust whatever information that they find after performing a quick search on the Internet. If libraries were able to incorporate their digital collections onto Google and the like, exposure would be tremendous. Not only would they be able to offer people a great, easily accessible source of valid information, but it could also have the potential of reshaping the image of the library as something that is still modern and relevant. What do you guys think? Will people actually use these digital collections if offered in these formats, or will it be a shot in the dark? Should certain information only be allowed to patrons, or should everything be available to the general public?

5 comments:

  1. Stephanie:
    I agree that we are definitely in the age of cyberspace (and there's not going back) and libraries can benefit from the exposure of their digital collections on Google , using RSS feeds, and AquaBrowser. This is an important step for libraries so they continue to meet the needs of their patrons.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great idea! I have never thought of that. If our information and resources were available to patrons online when they did a Google search, I definitely think we would be able to accommodate more users. The only thing I disagree with is Aquabrowser. I think that at some point, it will be great for patrons. As of right now, there are still many glitches in performance that I don't think it is relevant...at least where I work. How would you limit the Google search to a libary's patrons only? I think the information would have to be for the general public although I could be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stephanie, I think this is a great idea, but I don't know how you'd limit access to patrons only. Perhaps password protected with a library card ID number? As for Aquabrowser, I am fond of it. I love that the "cloud" suggests topics that are related to my interests, especially when I'm first researching a topic and have little knowledge about how it is interrelated to other subjects I may be familiar with. Helps get on those helpful tangents that increases understanding on a subject.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, the only way I think libraries would be able to limit access to information for patrons would be to ask for a library card number. I know of some library's online databases that do this already. As for AquaBrowser I do think it has it's high and low points. I also like that they have suggested topics related to your interests as well as the "did you mean...?" feature. But I feel if it was to be made more mainstream they would have to include information beyond the traditional library content, such as the digital collections and other repositories.

    ReplyDelete