Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Playaway and Libraries

The article that I chose was Titled “Playaway: Preloaded Digital Audio-books”. I found this article using EBSCO Host through the Joliet Junior College (JJC) site. The link is the HTML form so do not have to be logged in to accesses the article. The article first goes over the basic appearance of the Playaway. The Playaways have art jackets much like the physical book versions. The main appeal overall that the article mentions convenience of not having to download the book to a device or to a computer. The device can also be used in a car via an adapter. As well as the prices that libraries will be looking at when buying Playways for their collection.

I had found many things interesting about this article that I had not really thought about much. Some of these being the ear buds and the batteries, these are part of the Playaway Device. From working at the Plainfield Public Library I have seen some pass by the desk. Some that arrived through the Holds/Bag/Bin with Ear buds some without. The same goes for the Batteries. Many patrons listen to books in audio form, most listen to them in their cars or while working on other daily tasks. My own mother listens to books on CD. I feel that a Playaway would be a great item for her to use. Travelers sometimes do not bring Books on CD with them for fear of leavening a CD in the car. If they had a Playaway they would not have to worry about that. I found that the Playaway device would be a great addition to a library with a high check out of audio-books.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE PLAYAWAYS!!! My youngest son is not a very effecient reader and therefore does not like to read very much. The Playaways have been great for him. We check out a Playaway and also the book of the same title and he reads and listens at the same time. Pretty much the only way to get him to read a book.

    I totally agree that they are a great item for libraries to have. One of the negatives to an audio CD is that they can get scratched which shortens the life of the item. Being self-contained the Playaway will probably last longer. I didn't realize, however, that they were adaptable to a car. People with older model cars won't have CD players in them, and who has a CD walkman anymore these days??? Playaways are a great solution for audio book readers.

    ReplyDelete