Thursday, September 9, 2010

Use of Technology in Libraries, Foursquare

I picked this topic because I am a Facebook junkie and love microblogging. New technologies are perennially attractive to libraries, and Foursquare is no exception. Foursquare is a location-based social networking game that uses the GPS integrated in your smart phone to broadcast your location to your friends. You can leave "tips", which are short messages which can recommend or oppose a location, which other Foursquare users in the area can read and act upon. When you reach your destination, you can "check in" and collect "badges" based on those check-in patterns, and compete to become "mayor" of a location when you have the most check-ins at a particular location. How would libraries use this tool? Imaging if patons can leave the tip, "Plainfield Library has great WiFi!" What if The Freinds group gave mugs, bookmarks, and totebags away to each week's "mayor"? What if you could notify visitors how to sign up for library cards, reserve meeting rooms, promote programming - all via a game? How would you use this tool to promote services in your library, and would you have any privacy concerns? Can't wait to discuss in class!

3 comments:

  1. This sounds interesting but the privacy issue is a concern to me. Not sure that I would want everyone to be able to track me. But, I can't wait to hear more about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does sound interesting but for me personally it has little appeal. I'm sure there is a population out there that will love it but I'm not one that needs to be "connected" to people all of the time. I wouldn't want people to know where I am all of the time. I would also have to buy a new phone as I'm stuck in the dark ages with my phone that I don't even text on!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think this sounds like a great way to possibly attract a younger crowd to a library although I as well would have a privacy issue. I also don't know any friends of mine that use this, maybe if I did I'd be more willing to try it out.

    ReplyDelete