Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Cataloging

This week I took the course called Cataloging for Non-Catalogers. This was a pretty basic course, but it was informative. It started with the basics of the different types of libraries and the basics of card catalogs and OPACs. It mentioned the advantages and disadvantages of OPAC. One disadvantage mentioned was the inconsistency of the OPACs from library to library and that card catalogs were always the same no matter what library you went to. I personally feel that searching with an OPAC is far easier and quicker than a card catalog and any learning curve associated with it is worth it.

Next I learned about the three parts of cataloging. First was descriptive which is describing it so a patron can tell if they want to check it out. This will tell things like if is a paperback, large print, or if it comes with a cd or map. There is a book of rules called the AACR2R which stands for Anglo-American Cataloging Rules 2nd edition, 2003 Revision. The rules are important so that there is a consistency between libraries. The next part is Classification which is basically the call number, based on Dewey or Library of Congress. The last part is subject analysis, which uses fixed vocabulary for search terms. There are rules for these terms as well from Library of Congress Subject Headings (LCSH) or Sears List of Subject Headings.

The last section was about the three types of cataloging, and they are add item, copy, and original. Add item is for adding an additional copy for a record already in the catalog. Copy cataloging would also be for an item already in the catalog but it may need editing. Original is when there is no record and an item has to be cataloged from the beginning. This is a time consuming and expensive process, since all access points and subject headings need to be verified.

Overall I think this course was helpful. I have a much better understanding about the parts and types of cataloging.

5 comments:

  1. Cataloging and its terms can be very confusing, but your synopsis was great! I agree that I would rather have a slight learning curve in getting acquainted with a different OPAC than trying to find a cross reference using a card catalog. Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm am going through this course now and I find cataloging very interesting. This course does go into alot of detail.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you said it the best way possible. I took this class too. I did find that I did not know much about cataloging as I thought so. I like how the information is so thorough. Great organization and interesting too.I was not bored easily with it since it was of basic stuff.but definetly very informative and understandable.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes basic is where you need to start when it comes to cataloging. To have this to start with may make beginning the cataloging class at JJC a little bit easier for you. I can't imagine even after taking the JJC class being an original cataloger. I'm sure it would get easier with time, but it is definitely not an easy process.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You did an especially good job explaining the structure of this course. I have essentially no cataloging experience, and it sounds like this course will be useful to take.

    ReplyDelete