Thursday, October 21, 2010

Weeding the Library Collection

Hi all:

I took the "Weeding the Library Collection" course for my second Webjunction assignment. It further bolstered my knowledge of weeding from reading others' posts and our in-class discussions. Basically stated, weeding is a crucial but oft neglected part of collection development. I liked the statement that books "pay rent" within a collection by getting circulated and read. If they don't circulate, they take up prime real esate that newer or more in-demand books could use. Basically, the library will look better, the best materials for the patron will be more readily accessible, the patron's time will be saved because finding the right book will be easier, and your professional merit will increase.

2 comments:

  1. I like this course as well. I love it when the shelves of the library are nice and neat, and weeding is part of what makes them look that good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a layman, weeding always seemed like a monumental project. I marveled at the fact that librarians possessed the fortitude to endure putting it into action constantly. This course showed me ways to best make use of time when weeding and how to streamline the process so that it's not such a burden to do.

    ReplyDelete