Thursday, October 21, 2010

Weeding the Library Collection

I also did the LibraryU course on Weeding.  I did find this very informative though somewhat repetetive.  I was most interested in the ways they suggested to "Eliminate the Unweedable" - meaning books that have been donated to the library in someone's name or gifted to the Library.  I guess we can't assume that the people who donate to our libraries are not going to come back some time and look for their donation.  I do agree that this should be something that is put into policy and be shared with the donors when they gift the library.  I think the point that they tried to stress the most was to make weeding a policy in your libary and to make it part of your regular procedures, just as much as collection development.

6 comments:

  1. I, too, took this course and thought it informative as well. I like your point about having a written policy re: donations. It's a nice option to say, "why don't you honor your loved one with a cash gift?" so the library can purchase the titles it truly needs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is one of the classes that I am hoping to take. From what you have posted it seems to be very informative. The “Pay rent” seems true now that I think of it. One of the things that the staff members I work with weed based on how long has it been since an item was checked out. I will definitely have to take this class.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I too took this course. The donations policy is a sensitive issue. So many people want to donate books to honor their loved ones. At my libray, we prefer that patrons give a cash donation and fill out a form indicating what type (genre) of book they would like the library to add to the collection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Circulation records are important to determine when to weed, but there is a lot more to it. I think this course covered a lot of it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This course was very good. Now I know how important it is to have a written donation policy.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My only issue with this course was that attempting to get a previous donor who objects to their donation being weeded to donate a new item seems like an awkward proposal.

    ReplyDelete