Thursday, October 21, 2010

Shelving With Dewey

Hi all:

I took the "Shelving with Dewey" Webjunction class to bolster my shelf reading skills. The tutorials were helpful in learning to accurately read shelves and fill materials by the DDC call numbers. As 95% of public and K-12 libraries use Dewey, this is a necessary skill to have. The tutorial went on to give the 10 general classes, (000, Generalities; 100, Philosophy; 200, Religion; 300, Social Sciences; 400, Languages; 500, Natural Sciences & Math; 600, Technology/Applied Science; 700, The Arts; 800, Literature & Rhetoric; 900, Geography and History) which can be further refined by 10's and decimals. A salient point worth noting was the statement "a mis-shelved book is a lost book".

4 comments:

  1. took this class when I was taking Cataloging and Processing. It was a great reinforcement of what I was already learning. I probably need to take it again since its been a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked the point about a mis-shelved book being lost. It can't be helpful if it can't be found.

    ReplyDelete
  3. At work, I have to check on the pages who put the books away because if they aren't doing it right, we'll never find the book. One page had a CD talking book on his cart and we still can't find where he shelved it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've patronized libraries all of my life, but it wasn't until college when I learned the ins and outs of Dewey. This course would have been a massive help to me in my formative years.

    ReplyDelete